...because each of us are always on the verge of the next big thing in our lives.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Wanted: Lobotomy

Where do I begin?! Last night was incredibly weird and peculiar, in the fun and crazy sense of the words.

The night started off with drinks at Olive’s and my introduction to the birthday boy (or more accurately, girl)! Collin can be imagined by thinking of the queeniest gay man you know and multiplying that queeny intensity times 10.

J.K. and I decided 30 seconds into the evening that drinking heavily would be our only salvation, and it was! And it only took 5 minutes to answer the question of, what type of guy would “marry” Collin? The answer: the quiet type…the quiet type that likes to stare.

That brings the story to Nisos, an overly-priced Chelsea dining establishment with an incredible Black Angus Steak. The dinner table(s) was surrounded by about 20 completely random and alarmingly different gay men accented by one token woman strongly channeling The Practice’s Camryn Manheim.

The evening was going pretty much as predicted up until this point. One of the best moments of the night was when Collin was going around the table introducing everyone to a few new arrivals. When he got to our end of the table, it went something like this: “that’s Justin, that’s the other Justin, that’s the asshole…” Guess who was the asshole?! That’s right, yours truly. I can’t rightly remember what bitchy insult I through at him earlier in the evening, but I do love that I got under his skin!

Before a shot of Jose Cuervo bought by a Cajun from Newalins, and a little drama involving a guy named Jason who Collin believed to owe him money & be named Michael, we headed to a straight bar (of all places). If only we were impressed by Collin’s ability to stroll past the velvet ropes of a straight club that none of us had interest in!! I’m sure it was just the birthday boy’s unsuccessful attempt to keep his “husband” away as many good-looking gay men as possible :-)

One, I think the name of the club was, was completely packed but completely lame. No wonder J.K. wasn’t feeling it! And this is where the night gets ridiculously interesting for me…after 2am.

J.K. had an idea to end the night at Roxy, and I was so surprised/shocked by the idea (and drunk) that I found myself going along with it. Everything was going fine, and adequately blurry, until I spotted a strangely familiar silhouette. Who else could it be except for R.S., an old flame that always seems to creep back into my head when I’ve managed to virtually erase him from my memory?! Oh well, it was great to see him and nice to be reminded of why we never worked out long term. (wouldn’t you like it if I elaborated?!) *smirk*

At the end of the day (or night), it was a crazy time shared by all…and there was a lot more drama going on than was present on the surface. But that just goes with being gay…or more accurately, with being a human being. We as gay men just seem to welcome drama into our realm much more often. I believe that the vast majority of us don’t really like it all that much, but it prevents our lives from boring us…and that kinda makes sense, doesn't it!?

On a completely unrelated, but completely fabulous, note:
The Rent motion picture soundtrack gets released this Tuesday. Seasons of Love is SO my jam!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home